On the subway to work yesterday morning, I realized I have a huge running problem.
Here’s the back story:
When my alarm goes off every morning, it’s usually still dark out.
My routine on non-running days is to hit the snooze as many times as I can while I recalculate how long it will take me to:
- Drag my ass out of bed
- Grab a fresh T-shirt, underwear and socks out of my dresser
- Brush my teeth and shower (optionally shave)
- Throw on my clothes
- Grab my already awake son out of his crib and hand him off to my wife to nurse before he starts complaining
- Run to the kitchen to prepare his breakfast
- Run back to get him
- Seat him in his highchair and make sure to stay ahead of him shoveling banana slices into his mouth (heaven forbid he should wait while I cut some more and have to walk them the three feet from the counter to his highchair).
- In between banana cutting and serving, find my shoes, hat, phone, earbuds, backpack, house keys, money and wallet and check the current weather on the interwebz
- Tag in the nanny who just arrived to take over my son
- Dig through my closet to find a jacket suitable to the current weather
- Grab my pre-packed lunch out of the fridge and shove it in my backpack
- Kiss my wife and son and say goodbye
- Run out the door and jump on the subway by 7AM to start my day
All the above to say that the first time I ever get to look and see what I’m actually wearing is usually on the subway.
And yesterday morning, I was kinda horrified.
Here’s what my outfit consisted of:
- ASICS socks
- 2011 Staten Island Half T-shirt
- 2013 Philadelphia Marathon jacket
- 2014 Team Nuun Hood To Coast hoodie
- 2015 NYC Marathon backpack
- 2015 LA Marathon baseball hat
- Jeans and black Chucks
I went home last night and looked through my shirt drawer and found that of the 25 shirts I own, 20 of them were from races I ran or volunteered with. And if I were to be honest, I would say that at best, I cycle through the same 10 or so shirts in between wash cycles.
I looked through my closet and found that I have nine spring weight jackets. All of them from races.
I have two backpacks that I switch back and forth between – both from, you guessed it, races I’ve run.
And my hats? Four (LA, NYC, Chicago and New Jersey).
When did I become a billboard for running?
Anyone else have this problem?